Thursday, March 8, 2012

Big Mac

Mac went back to the GI doctor Wednesday, and Dr. Parker was very impressed by Mac's weight gain 13 pounds 7 oz. up from 11 pounds! Dr. Parker was also pleased with the improvements in Mac's screaming since I made all the changes to my diet. He said these types of allergies or sensitivities children usually outgrow between 10 and 12 months! We are nearly half way to the 10 month mark, so we'll see what happens! Dr. Parker also gave Big Mac the thumbs up to add baby food into his diet! He tried bananas for the first time last night and loved it! He ate the entire jar and then screamed with anger when it was all gone! I hate seeing him upset, but I love that he finally has a desire to eat and eat well. Adding something to his diet besides rice cereal also helped him sleep so well last night. Now if only I could master the whole let him cry thing, I think we would be in great shape! I would like to start making Mac's baby food that way I can control what's in it, but I really don't know where to begin. Maybe if I get the mountain of laundry folded today, I can check that out. Our big boy has started rolling over. First it was back to front, but now if he's on his tummy, he rolls to his back. He's also teething, so that has made his reflux worse. I can deal with the spit up, just not the screaming. Hopefully one will not cause the other.

I have to say I missed the milk and all the dairy at first, but now, I really don't miss it! I do miss a big bowl of cereal, but other than that, I am really okay with giving everything up. This may be a lifestyle I adopt. I have also found a wonderful vegan, yes I said vegan recipe for chocolate cake. I would like a glass of milk to drink with it, but it's really very good. I also made it from scratch which I have never done before. It called for while vinegar, but I added balsamic vinegar instead and in place of the vegetable oil (it has soy in it) I added applesauce. I think the next time I make them, I may add a raspberry filling just to give it some extra sweetness. Who knows, next time you turn on cupcake wars, you may see me on there! Kidding! My family ate it up, and I didn't feel too guilty eating one for breakfast because it's actually pretty low cal, so that's also a bonus! Maybe my next batch I will take pictures and post them, along with the recipe!

1 comment:

  1. Great news about Mac! Your cake recipe sounds a lot like mine, but I've never thought about balsamic vinegar or applesauce in place of the white vinegar and oil - I'll have to try that. Also, if you add any kind of raspberry filling, do tell...that sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete