Monday, December 7, 2009

Tough Times

These last few weeks have been truly some of the most difficult I have ever had to face. Let me start with the most recent. On Saturday, November 29, Maddie Gray stopped walking. She would scream and cry when Josh or I put her down. She was fine that morning, but that afternoon, I got nothing. This really frightened me, so Josh called someone and was told this wasn't something he wanted to play around with and we needed to get this checked out. Off to the emergency room we went, only to be sent home and was told her white cell counts were raised due to the ear infections! Sunday morning, she woke up and wasn't standing in her crib, she was sitting. I picked her up and put her down on the floor and she still didn't walk nor would she move at all. I was even more afraid by this time. Josh called a doctor here in town and after a few questions and answers, he told us to come back to the emergency room ASAP. Long story short, we got to the hospital at 9 Sunday morning and our sweet Maddie Gray was in surgery at 2:30. She was septic and her hip was infected. Dr. Durgan went in and drained out the infection. She was on IV antibiotics until they sent us home Thursday afternoon. Thankfully, we are home and doing better! We go to see our Peditrician on Friday and then back to the surgeon on Monday. She hasn't been able to leave the house since we brought her home which has been really hard on Josh and I. Thank you Chubba for coming to stay with us over the weekend. We couldn't have done it without you. We also want to thank PawPaw Terry for coming and staying with us Sunday night and Monday night. It has made a difficult situation better playing with the wii and eating chocolate ice cream! Here are a few less sad pictures of our sweet girl in the hospital.

I think this one was taken on Monday or Tuesday. She finally understood that if she hit you with her "crab claw" it would hurt! What a fun game!

This is Thursday, the day we came home! She knew she could walk but that she needed to push her IV pole around with her. We had to have one more round of IV antibiotics before we were sent home with something yucky she has to take 4 times a day by mouth.

This was Sunday after her surgery. My poor baby was on Morphine. It was the saddest thing. I don't think I've ever felt so helpless in my life.


The week before Thanksgiving, my Grannie died. She was 80 years old. She was my dad's mother and my middle name's sake. I'm so glad she got to meet Maddie Gray. I tried to go and visit them at least once a month, and I called them usually once a week. Her passing was completely unexpected and she will be greatly missed.
This is a picture of Gannie Sue Covington at Maddie Gray's 1st Birthday Party.
This is a picture of my PawPaw and my Grannie with Maddie Gray on my last visit to their house in October. My Grannie loved my sweet baby girl. I am truly blessed having had her in my life and more blessed that she was in the life of my daughter.




2 comments:

  1. Peggy, I can't believe you had to go through all of that. I'm so sorry! Brooke tried her best to keep me updated throughout it all, but I was so scared for you guys. I'm so glad everything is getting better now! Good for Josh for not taking no for an answer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear of all that your family has been going through. Know that you are in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete